Kamis, 18 November 2010

Hydrogen Peroxide & Dog Poisoning

Hydrogen Peroxide & Dog Poisoning

Dogs are naturally curious creatures, often getting into things that are potentially toxic. Poisoning can occur in three different ways: absorption through skin, inhalation or ingestion. Most accidental poisonings are the result of ingesting items, chemicals or toxic foods and must be handled immediately. Understanding potential hazards for dogs and what steps to take in the event of accidental poisoning is critical. Hydrogen peroxide must always be kept as part of a dog's first-aid kit for certain types of poisoning.

Be Prepared

    Hydrogen peroxide is an important component of a dog's first-aid kit.
    Hydrogen peroxide is an important component of a dog's first-aid kit.

    Always keep emergency telephone numbers and a well-stocked first-aid kit handy. This must include a fresh bottle of 3-percent hydrogen peroxide, a turkey baster or bulb syringe, and mild grease-cutting dish-washing liquid in the event of accidental poisoning. For other types of emergencies, saline eye solution, artificial-tear gel, forceps, a can of the dog's favorite food and a muzzle must also be kept in the first-aid kit.

Common Toxic Substances to Avoid

    Hazards such as insecticides, lawn fertilizers, pool chemicals and antifreeze can be deadly for dogs.
    Hazards such as insecticides, lawn fertilizers, pool chemicals and antifreeze can be deadly for dogs.

    All human medications and vitamin supplements must be kept out of a dog's reach. Vitamins containing iron are potentially fatal in high doses. Pet medications are also potentially toxic if given incorrectly. Flea and tick products are poisonous if ingested. Certain human foods are toxic for dogs, including chocolate, alcohol, avocados, macadamia nuts, grapes and raisins, xylitol (a sugar-free sweetener) and garlic. Rat and mouse poisons, whether eaten directly or consumed by eating a poisoned rodent, are toxic for dogs. Household plants such as azaleas, rhododendrons, tulips, daffodils, sago palms, poinsettias and mistletoe are all poisonous to dogs. Common household cleaners such as bleach are highly toxic, as are antifreeze, paint thinner, pool chemicals and lawn fertilizers. Heavy metals such as lead can poison dogs who ingest paint, linoleum or batteries. Zinc poisoning can occur in dogs who swallow pennies.

When to Induce Vomiting

    Calling a veterinarian, veterinary emergency center or animal poison control is the first step when a dog has ingested a potentially toxic substance. Whenever possible, it is best to know the item or substance ingested, the approximate time and amount. Vomiting must only be induced when instructed to do so. For example, vomiting must never be induced when caustic substances are ingested such as drain cleaner as it can make the situation much worse. Additionally, vomiting must never be induced if the dog is already vomiting, has lost consciousness, has trouble breathing or is too weak to stand.

How to Induce Vomiting

    Three-percent hydrogen peroxide is kept around most homes for a variety of first-aid remedies. It is an effective and safe way to induce vomiting in dogs. Dosage is according to body weight, and 1 tsp. is given for every 10 lbs. of body weight. If given by oral syringe, the correct dosage equals 5 cc or 5 ml for every 10 lbs. After the dosage is administered, walk the dog around or gently shake the stomach area to mix stomach contents. Typically, vomiting will begin to occur within 15 to 20 minutes. If vomiting does not occur, a second dose may be administered. Never give a third dose or more than the recommended amount. If still ineffective, an immediate trip to the vet is required. Monitor the dog closely when vomiting does occur to prevent re-ingestion of substances. The dog may vomit several times before expelling all of the toxic substance. Follow-up treatment and evaluation with a veterinarian are recommended.

Tidak ada komentar:

Poskan Komentar